Are we still wasting food?! Fortunately, we are still in #FoodWasteFreeOctober, so there are many resources out there to help you stop this horrible habit that we continue to tolerate while children and so many others in the world have no food – even in our hometowns. Have you ever participated in a food waste challenge? Are you aware of our global food waste problems?
I will refer you to my recent post about food waste and Food Waste Free October here. And I will refer you to some horrendous facts about food waste here, including that every day in Canada we waste over 400 000 heads of lettuce. I can’t even with this.
My two top zero/low waste chefs out there are the Zero Waste Chef, and Max La Manna. They are all I need in my kitchen, and help me keep my food waste to an absolute minimum. I don’t own cookbooks, but if I did, these two would be it. And guess what – THEY BOTH HAVE ONE!
What is the one food you waste the most? What else could you do with that food to use it up? Do you have access to a freezer or storage space for freezing, canning, and preserving food? Do you share your food with others?
Some quick tips on minimizing your food waste:
- Buy only what you need
- Meal plan
- Store food properly to make it last
- Try not to get too caught up in recipes or best before dates
- Educate yourself on local efforts to reduce food waste
- Give food away to friends, family, and neighbours, including your garden harvest!
- Challenge yourself in canning and preserving
- Follow resourceful social media accounts (like my all-star chefs above)
- Keep a separate bin/drawer in fridge for near-spoiling food
- Get creative with leftovers, and meals
I have found it very helpful to plan out my meals for the week every Sunday. This also helps me make a list for the grocery store if I don’t have all the ingredients in my apartment. Great post!
Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin
I started meal planning and liked it, but then stopped for some reason. I don’t waste a lot of food, but it certainly helped with the “what’s for dinner” problem 😆