It’s Earth Month!
If you haven’t done so already, you should start composting! Here are some reasons why I think you should *wink*:
- It’s fun!
- You will reduce your household waste by over 30%
- You will help preserve the life span of your local landfill
- You will help reduce the amount of methane gas produced by organic waste in landfills
- You will provide a home for millions! … of microorganisms, that is! And they’ll be soooo happy to munch on your leftovers
- You will produce your own AMAZING fertilizer
- It will inspire you! No, seriously! Composting was my first step towards reducing my household waste and then it just spiraled me into striving for zero-waste living. Now it’s OUTTA CONTROL! In a good way…
- It will make you happy, scientifically speaking
- You won’t have to water as often; compost soil retains moisture better
- It is all around good for the environment to practice sustainability in the form of compost, and to encourage natural cycles; and what’s good for the environment is good for YOU! *claps* *takes a bow*
Need some tips to get started? See my Compost Like a Boss post, my Compost Workshop post, or just send me a question. I have a regular backyard compost at my house and was a compost educator as part of Wildsight. I learned so much about compost, and got to share my knowledge and passion (that’s right – you can feel THAT good about composting) not only with my own classes (I’m a teacher), but also with local schools, and other organizations.
Check out these happy plants fertilized with compost: