A busy month behind me, including my birthday and my first field trip with 37 middle school students; this month brought with it, yet again, its highs and lows in regards to zero waste.
Starting with the highs:
+ first successful ZW road trip (see Road Trips 101)
+ bought my first bamboo toothbrush (Brush Naked)
+ bought a duo stainless steel lunch container (LunchBots)
+ bought a bamboo hairbrush (Olivia Garden)
+ above purchased with a birthday gift certificate
Now the lows, starting with my shameful Styrofoam container:
– sushi date leftovers put in a Styrofoam container
– napkin from a cookie tin gift
– twist ties from produce
– produce stickers
– found dried up super glue in cupboard
– found old plastic straw in cupboard
– a prong broke off my hairclip
– rubber piece from eyelash curler; replaced and gave away
– burnt macaroni that perished in the oven
– package shipping sticker
– random packaging: cream cheese, feta plastic seal, olives plastic seal, chocolate wrapper (gift), cashew bag (gift)
– glow stick bracelets: convinced to wear this at Halloween
– many receipts
There are some avoidables and non-avoidables in there. I could have avoided the Styrofoam by bringing a container and assuming I’d have leftovers. I could have found an alternative to cream cheese for a soup recipe, and prepared a container for olives (bulk is an option here).
Produce ties and stickers get me, especially in the winter when there are no farmers’ markets. Receipts I get every time I buy groceries. There are also those times when things just break; it’s annoying, but I will use my hairclip until all the prongs are busted. Does anyone have sustainable alternatives to hairclips?
Those are my November trash totals. I love reading updates from everyone else and seeing how they fare each month. It gives me new goals and challenges to strive for! How did you do in November?