Throughout my Zero Journey I have felt overwhelmed and frustrated, whether it was the amount of plastic at stores, the unnecessary stickers or double/triple wrapping, the ignorance of others to the amount of waste they’re creating, or the lack of access to zero-waste items. The best way I could combat my frustrations was taking it one small step at a time. I also (still) remind myself that this is my choice and I cannot change the minds of others – I can only inspire :).
These are some of my (favourite) first steps to zero-waste living:
- handkerchiefs – replaces tissues
- homemade lip balm – replaces tubed lip balm, easy to make
- baking soda – replaces many cleaning products (Pinterest it!)
- wool dryer balls – replaces toxic dryer sheets, compostable
- travel mug – replaces plastic coffee cups and lids
- reusable water bottle – replaces plastic bottles
- hand towels/rags – replaces paper towel
- jars – various sizes for bulk, food storage, drinks
- soap – various types for body, face, and hair
Sometimes it can feel overwhelming, or you may not even know where to start; maybe you’re even intimidated by these changes. You don’t need to change everything all at once. Do one small thing at a time or set a small goal; maybe you put your travel mug in your car so that when you have a java urge, it’s right there for you!
The best part… you’re not alone! We all started from Step 1, and this is a pretty welcoming community who want everyone to succeed 🙂