Seeking new alternatives to cut down on plastics and packaging in the kitchen has been… a little addicting. I’m still seeking new ways and looking for different ideas, but this is the start I’ve made so far.
Things I have changed so far to reduce waste and packaging in my kitchen:
- Compost as much as possible (Google it; you can compost soooo much)
- Replacing paper towels with rags and dish towels
- Purchase as many bulk items as possible: coffee, tea, baking supplies, dry pantry items like rice, pasta, beans etc. (purchase jars to put the items in, or just save glass jars from other items)
- Purchase milk from local farmers in glass bottles (mmmm so good)
- Reduce meat consumption (or make like Bea and take your glass jars to the butcher!); this was simple for me, since I am mostly vegetarian
- DIY cooking/baking, like bread, wraps, refried beans, apple sauce, vegetable broth, etc.
- Using baking soda and vinegar as cleaning supplies
I’m still looking for a recipe to make dish soap; something relatively simple. Ideas? 🙂